Curtis Brown Creative runs a monthly writing competition on Twitter – it happens on the first Thursday of every month, join in and potentially win a free place on one of our six-week online writing courses. Here's how to play ...
On the first Thursday of every month we post one writing tip and one writing task on Twitter and in our CBC blog. The tip is a delicate pearl of wisdom to help you in your novel-writing. The task requires you to do a nifty bit of writing in under 280 characters. (#WriteCBC takes a summer break for the month of August.)
Each month the tip and task come from a special guest – this could be one of our creative writing tutors, a literary agent from Curtis Brown or C&W, a publisher, or one of our published alumni.
The tip and task are tweeted at 11 am (UK time) – and are also posted in our blog, where you can get some extra writing advice to help you with the task.
To take part - just have a go at the day's task, and post the results up on Twitter – tagging @cbcreative, and including the hashtag #WriteCBC
The competition closes at 10 am (UK time) the next morning – Friday. We choose a winner and two runners-up, and tweet and post the results in our blog at 11 am (UK time).
The winner gets a free place on one of our six-week online creative writing courses for all-comers. The two runners-up get a £50 discount off the price of one of our short online courses. (See below).
Easy? Well, let's just see ...
A few rules ...
- Only one entry per person per month, please.
- Over-18s only.
- This one's just on Twitter – there isn't another way of taking part. Sorry to anyone who doesn't use it and doesn't want to – we'll do something else that's non-Twitter soon.
- Winner and discount winners get to choose between Starting to Write Your Novel, Write to the End of Your Novel, Edit & Pitch Your Novel, Writing a Memoir, Writing Short Stories, Writing a Psychological Thriller, Writing Historical Fiction, Writing a Romance Novel, Writing Crime Fiction, Writing Poetry – Or, you can use your discount on one of our six-week online picture book courses: Illustrating a Children's Picture Book or Writing a Children's Picture Book.
- £50 discounts can also be applied to our ten-week Writing & Illustrating a Children's Picture Book course or our four-week courses: Creative Writing for Beginners or Character Development – The Deep Dive.
- If you're in receipt of more than one discount offer, you can only trade in one per course enrolment.
- Discounts and free place valid only on courses running 2020-23.
- If a winner has already paid and enrolled on one of the applicable courses (yet to run), we will refund the £210 fee/discount (as relevant).
- If a winner or runner-up has already taken all relevant courses, they may gift their discount or full fee (as relevant) to another writer.
Blog last updated January 2022.