Edit & Pitch Your Novel
Great novels are made in the rewrite. If you’ve written a complete novel and are looking for advice on how to edit and polish it – and then pitch it to agents and publishers – this online course is for you.
Using teaching videos, notes, writing tasks and resources, Curtis Brown Creative’s Director Anna Davis shares her Rewrite Doctor method of editing to help you review your complete draft, identify issues to be remedied, and fix them through the rewriting process.
We demystify the perfect pitch by showing you how to write an outstanding synopsis and agent’s letter with exclusive video pitching tips from Curtis Brown and C&W literary agents.
I have one regret. Why did I not enrol on a CBC course long before now? Thank you, Curtis Brown Creative, for a brilliant faultless course which has given me confidence to continue writing and to make submissions in the future to literary agents
Anna Davis is the founder and Director of the Curtis Brown Creative writing school. She is the author of five acclaimed novels which have been published in twenty languages. She has been a journalist and Guardian columnist, as well as a Curtis Brown literary agent. She taught creative writing at the University of Manchester and in many other settings before founding Curtis Brown Creative in 2011.
WHAT DOES THIS COURSE GIVE YOU?
- Video modules: Work through six modules comprising teaching videos and substantial notes by Anna Davis. The first three modules take you through the editing process in depth – the second three show you how to write a synopsis and pitch your work to agents.
- Writing tasks: Weekly writing tasks to help you explore and understand the teaching topics and progress your novel. Weekly posts to the forum from your tutor will reinforce these lessons.
- Resources & notes: You’ll get access to multiple resources and teaching notes, including Anna Davis' 'Rewrite Doctor' editing method, examples of successful synopses, and agent query letters alongside actionable tips for nailing your pitch.
- Professional feedback: An expert CBC editor will give brief written feedback on several of the students' practical assignments every week, with all students receiving feedback on one of their writing tasks. Students are also given the option to purchase additional end-of-course feedback from our expert editors.
- Student forum: Find your writing community on our private student forums. Upload your completed writing tasks, give and receive peer-to-peer feedback, and discuss the week’s topics with your fellow students and the CBC team.
COURSE SCHEDULE & DELIVERY
Our online courses are designed for flexible learning. Allocate your own study time and take part from wherever you are in the world. Each week, we recommend spending at least four hours on the course. It’s also important to be planning and working on your novel throughout the six weeks.
WEEK 1The end is the beginning: Reviewing your novel
WEEK 2The Rewrite Doctor: Planning your edit
WEEK 3Revising & polishing
WEEK 4Preparing your pitch: Writing your synopsis
WEEK 5Preparing your pitch: Writing your Agent letter
WEEK 6Everything you need to know about pitching
All students will be given the option to purchase feedback on their final task from a CBC editor.
- CBC report: For an additional fee of £145, you can obtain a detailed 500-word report on your work (of up to 3,000 words) from one of our editors.
- CBC report + tutorial: For an additional fee of £240, you can obtain a 500-word report from one of our editors and have a 30-minute video or telephone tutorial with them to discuss your work.
Our How to Write Your Novel Series
This is the final course in our popular How to Write Your Novel series, designed to take you from first idea to final draft.
It follows on from Starting to Write Your Novel and Write to the End of Your Novel – you don’t need to have studied with us previously to benefit from this course. Take the courses in succession or join us for the course that aligns with your current stage in the writing process.
GIFT THIS COURSE
Encourage your writerly friend or loved one to get creative! We have £220 digital gift vouchers available, enabling you to buy any six-week online course as a present.
Suitable for anyone with a complete first draft, this online course helps you edit and polish your novel as you prepare your pitch package for agents and publishers.