Curtis Brown Creative has partnered with top London chartered accountancy firm HW Fisher to provide a writing bursary for our three-month novel-writing course in London. One talented writer of limited financial means will receive a fully paid place on our next three-month course in London.
Curtis Brown Creative is committed to finding talented writers and helping them to get the best out of their novels. We are keen to promote diversity in our student groups and to find a writer through this scholarship program who we might not otherwise have heard from. If you have the desire to write, a great idea and a compelling voice, and if you’re without the financial means to attend a Curtis Brown Creative course, this scholarship opportunity is for you.
HW Fisher is a commercially astute organisation with a personal, partner-led service. The company’s dedicated media sector provides accountancy services to many published authors (several of whom are clients of Curtis Brown and C+W), and its accountants are experts in writers’ often peculiar financial arrangements. One of the main challenges for people in the creative industry is that their income is irregular; certain projects take longer than others to come to fruition. This pattern presents important challenges and opportunities for tax planning. HW Fisher has extensive experience of the relevant tax legislation and can initiate timely and effective procedures to minimise writers’ tax liabilities.
The scholarship is open to people over the age of 18, either:
- unmarried and not co-habiting with a partner, with an annual (gross, pre-tax) income of less than £25,000 and personal savings of less than £5,000.
- married or co-habiting with a partner, with a total annual (gross pre-tax) household income of less than £35,000 and personal savings (jointly or individually) of less than £5,000.
Curtis Brown Creative offers places on our courses on the basis of proven writing ability. We ask applicants to send us the first 3,000 words of a novel in progress, with a one page synopsis, and to fill out our application form. Please note that those with the financial means to attend our courses should not apply to the scholarship.
The HW Fisher Scholarship will be awarded to the applicant whose submission material shows the greatest potential and promise in our view. The decision will be made by the Curtis Brown Creative team.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants to the HW Fisher Scholarship must fulfil our eligibility criteria. Our form asks you to make a statement about your financial circumstances and the reason you deserve the scholarship.
- With respect to the earnings thresholds set out in our eligibility section: for salaried applicants, your current salary at date of application must be under the threshold. For self-employed applicants, your gross pre-tax profits (average figure for the last two financial years) must be under the threshold. State benefits such as jobseeker’s allowance should be counted as income.
- Applicants may be asked to provide proof of their financial circumstances in support of their scholarship applications.
- Because the scholarship is open only to those who do not have the means to attend the applicable course without financial assistance, applicants should bear in mind that their application will be considered only for the scholarship place on the relevant course and not for other fee-paying places on the course.
How to apply
Applications are currently closed.