Our brand new Write From Home Scholarship will award one talented writer of limited financial means a fully paid place on our Three-Month Online Novel-Writing Course with Andrew Michael Hurley. This hugely popular course features direct input from our literary agent team and top publishers. The course will run from 13 July – 19 October 2020.
In this strange and challenging time, we know that lots of people are concentrating seriously on their writing – some for the first time, and others as part of an ongoing writing life. We also know that things are tough on the financial front for many … That’s why Curtis Brown Creative has decided to provide one free place on our next Three-Month Online course. We want to offer this to someone who can’t join us without financial help, and who has talent. Do apply if you’re starting or working on a novel that you care about and want to focus on across three months. You need to be up for the idea of listening to what your tutor and fellow students might have to say, and also to the idea of helping to support the writing of 14 other students. You also need to be up for the idea of making big changes to your work – this isn’t a course for people who only want to pitch to agents.
We are keen to promote diversity in our student groups and to find a writer through this scholarship program who we might not otherwise have heard from. If you have the desire to write, a great idea and a compelling voice, and if you’re without the financial means to attend a Curtis Brown Creative course, this scholarship opportunity is for you. We are excited at the prospect of supporting the writing process of a talented new student, and would love to see a great novel come out of this opportunity.
The scholarship is open to people over the age of 18, either:
- unmarried and not co-habiting with a partner, with an annual (gross, pre-tax) income of less than £25,000 and personal savings of less than £5,000.
- married or co-habiting with a partner, with a total annual (gross pre-tax) household income of less than £35,000 and personal savings (jointly or individually) of less than £5,000.
If you don’t quite fit our financial criteria but are nonetheless very financially challenged, then do apply, explaining your circumstances in the form.
Curtis Brown Creative offers places on our courses on the basis of proven writing ability. We ask applicants to send us the first 3,000 words of a novel in progress, with a one page synopsis, and to fill out our application form. Please note that those with the financial means to attend our courses should not apply to the scholarship.
The Write From Home Scholarship will be awarded to the applicant whose submission material shows the greatest potential and promise in our view. The decision will be made by the Curtis Brown Creative team.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants to the Write From Home Scholarship must fulfil our eligibility criteria. Our form asks you to make a statement about your financial circumstances and the reason you deserve the scholarship.
- With respect to the earnings thresholds set out in our eligibility section: for salaried applicants, your current salary at date of application must be under the threshold. For self-employed applicants, your gross pre-tax profits (average figure for the last two financial years) must be under the threshold. State benefits such as jobseeker’s allowance should be counted as income.
- Applicants may be asked to provide proof of their financial circumstances in support of their scholarship applications.
- Because the scholarship is open only to those who do not have the means to attend the applicable course without financial assistance, applicants should bear in mind that their application will be considered only for the scholarship place on the relevant course and not for other fee-paying places on the course.
Ready to Apply?
Please apply with the first 3,000 words of the novel you’d like to work on during the course, and a synopsis of no more than a page (both need to be in the same document, as you can only upload ONE file in the application below). The deadline for applications is midnight, end of day Sunday 5 July, and we will respond to applicants by Thursday 9 July. If you encounter any problems during the application process, or have any more questions about the course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.