Terms and Conditions
All references to ‘Curtis Brown’ are to Curtis Brown Group Limited (company registration number 00679620) and to ‘Curtis Brown Creative’ to Curtis Brown Creative Limited (company registration number 08880058), both of whose registered office is Fifth Floor, 28-29 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4SP (together, the “Co-Promoters”), and all references to ‘us’ or ‘we’ is to the Co-Promoters. The term ‘entrant’, ‘entrants’ or ‘you’ refers to a person who participates in the competition.
How to Enter
– This competition runs from 12 noon London time on 9 April 2019 (the “Opening Date”) until 12 noon London time on 1st August 2019 (the “Closing Date”) (the period, the “Submission Period”), after which no further entries will be accepted as eligible.
– The competition is free of charge.
– Entries must be submitted online using the form below which must be completed in full, including the entrant’s full name, contact telephone number and email address, and with the entry material attached as a Word document or PDF file.
– The Co-Promoters do not accept responsibility for late or lost entries and shall not be held responsible for any inability to submit entries as a result of computer service, systems and or server failure, error, interruption, defect or delay or any other technical malfunction. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
– Entries will be read by a panel of agents from Curtis Brown and Curtis Brown Creative personnel. The readers will select a longlist of submissions for the consideration of the judging panel which is made up of nine judges. The decision of the panel of judges will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
– Entrants consent to being contacted by the Co-Promoters in response to their entry, using the telephone number or email address provided with the competition entry.
– You must be at least 18 years old at time of entry and a resident of the UK or Ireland. (For this competition we’re sadly not able to allow entries from people living further afield – we hope to do so in future competitions.)
– Only one entry is permitted per entrant. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted. Joint submissions are permitted subject to both authors agreeing to the submission being entered.
– Entrants must be unrepresented at the time of entering the competition (i.e. you should not already have a literary agent). Should you accept an offer of representation during the Submission Period and before the Announcement Date, you must let us know as soon as possible so that we can remove your entry from the competition.
– The competition is not open to employees or contractors of the Co-Promoters, or to any person directly or indirectly involved with the Co-Promoters (including its affiliates) or the running of the competition, or their direct family members.
– In entering the competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win. The Co-Promoters may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the competition.
– For the avoidance of doubt, the competition is open to students and former students of Curtis Brown Creative’s courses.
– For entrants who have applied for and have been accepted onto a Curtis Brown Creative three-month or six-month novel-writing course starting between 2 April 2019 and 1 October 2019, in the event of you being awarded the runner-up prize we will refund you the course fee that you have paid (up to a maximum of £1,800).
– Entering the competition shall have no effect on any formal submission you may have made or may make to a Curtis Brown agent either during or after the Opening Date (for the avoidance of doubt, the competition and submissions to the agency are separate).
– Entrants must comply with these terms and conditions to be eligible for prizes. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, the Co-Promoters may, at their sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude you from participating in the competition.
– Your entry must be written in the English language
– Your entry must comprise the opening (including any prologue) of a fiction novel intended for adults (i.e. not children’s or young adult’s fiction) of up to 10,000 words and a one-page synopsis of no more than 400 words.
– Your entry, as submitted – and the novel from which it derives – must be your own original work and must not violate the copyright or other rights of any third party.
– Your entry can be of any theme, subject or genre.
– Your novel does not have to be finished at date of entry.
– Your novel must be unpublished in print or online (whether via a publisher or through self-publishing), not have been broadcast or have won a prize. Being published online includes, but is not limited to, publication on a personal blog.
– Simultaneous submission is permitted but if your entry wins a prize or is published elsewhere you must let us know as soon as possible so that we can remove it from the competition.
– The prizes for the winner, runner-up and four shortlisted entrants (together, the “prize-winners”) are as follows:
(i) First prize: an offer of representation made by Curtis Brown and £3,000.
(ii) Runner-up prize: a place on either the Autumn 2019 or Spring 2020 three-month novel-writing course with Curtis Brown Creative and a mentoring session (to be taken up within 6 months of the Announcement Date) with an agent from Curtis Brown’s literary agent team.
(iii) Four shortlisted entrants: a place each on a six-week creative writing online course with Curtis Brown Creative (available until June 2020) and a mentoring session (to be taken up within 6 months of the Announcement Date) with an agent from Curtis Brown’s literary agent team.
– The prizes must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred (except, with regards to the writing courses only, strictly with the agreement of Curtis Brown Creative) or transferred.
– None of the prizes can be exchanged for cash. For the avoidance of doubt, the novel-writing courses referred to in (ii) and (iii) above cannot be used as partial-payment for any other Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing courses, with the exception of the refund referred to under the heading ‘Eligibility’ in respect of (ii).
– In the event of their being selected, entrants consent to their full names and photograph (as provided with their competition entry) being made public in the announcement of the competition winner, runner-up and four shortlisted entrants on 10th October 2019 (the “Announcement Date”). Results will be announced by the Co-Promoters on their websites (https://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/) (https://www.curtisbrowncreative.co.uk/).
– The Co-Promoters will contact the prize-winners personally as soon as practicable on or after the Announcement Date, using the telephone number or email address provided with the competition entry.
– The Co-Promoters will make all reasonable efforts to contact the prize-winners. If the prize-winners cannot be contacted or are not available or have not claimed their prize within seven (7) days of the Announcement Date the Co-Promoters reserve the right to offer the relevant prize to the next eligible entrant.
Ownership of Competition Entries and Intellectual Property Rights
– The Co-Promoters do not claim any rights of ownership in your entry.
– Should you be a prize-winner, you agree that the Co-Promoters may, but are not required to, make your entry available on their websites (https://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/) (https://www.curtisbrowncreative.co.uk/).
– Entry into this competition will be deemed to be acceptance of these terms and conditions by the Entrant and agreement to be bound by them and confirmation that the Entrant has the necessary authority to enter into this competition. The Co-Promoters reserve the right to hold void, suspend, cancel or change this competition at any stage, if deemed necessary.
– These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales. This competition is void where prohibited by local law.