Breakthrough Scholarship for Memoir Writers
The Breakthrough Scholarship for Memoir Writers will award one talented writer of limited financial means a fully paid place on our three-month online Writing Your Memoir course.
This online course is taught by bestselling memoirist Cathy Rentzenbrink. It also features direct input from our literary agent team. The course will run from 20 September 2021 to 3 January 2022, and is designed to enable people to take part from anywhere in the world – in any time zone, and at hours of the day or night that work best for the individual participant.
The scholarship is part of the Breakthrough Writers’ Programme, a major outreach initiative offering opportunities to under-represented writers.
If you have the desire to write, a great idea and a compelling voice, and if you’re without the financial means to attend a Curtis Brown Creative course, this opportunity is for you.
The scholarship is open to people over the age of 18, either:
- unmarried and not co-habiting with a partner, with an annual (gross, pre-tax) income of less than £25,000 and personal savings of less than £5,000.
- married or co-habiting with a partner, with a total annual (gross pre-tax) household income of less than £35,000 and personal savings (jointly or individually) of less than £5,000.
If you don’t quite fit our financial criteria but are nonetheless very financially challenged, then do apply, explaining your circumstances in the form.
APPLICATIONS & SELECTION
Curtis Brown Creative offers places on our courses on the basis of proven writing ability. We ask applicants to send us the first 3,000 words of the memoir you’d like to work on during the course, and a synopsis of no more than a page (both need to be in the same document, as you can only upload ONE file in the application below), and to fill out our application form. Please note that those with the financial means to attend our courses should not apply to this scholarship.
The Breakthrough Scholarship for Memoir Writers will be awarded to the applicant whose submission material shows the greatest potential and promise in our view. The decision will be made by the Curtis Brown Creative team.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants to the Breakthrough Scholarship for Memoir Writers must fulfil our eligibility criteria. Our form asks you to make a statement about your financial circumstances and the reason you deserve the scholarship.
- With respect to the earnings thresholds set out in our eligibility section: for salaried applicants, your current salary at date of application must be under the threshold. For self-employed applicants, your gross pre-tax profits (average figure for the last two financial years) must be under the threshold. State benefits such as jobseeker’s allowance should be counted as income.
- Applicants may be asked to provide proof of their financial circumstances in support of their scholarship applications.
- Because the scholarship is open only to those who do not have the means to attend the applicable course without financial assistance, applicants should bear in mind that their application will be considered only for the scholarship place on the relevant course and not for other fee-paying places on the course.
Ready to apply?
Our application process is simple, and we encourage all writers meeting the eligibility criteria to apply.
Don’t worry if you have little or nothing to say in response to questions about e.g. writing experience or employment. Just fill out the form, upload your work and we’ll be in touch soon.
The deadline for applications is midnight, end of day Sunday 29 August, and we will respond to applicants by Thursday 2 September. If you encounter any problems during the application process or have any more questions about the course, please email email@example.com for assistance.