Edit & Pitch Your Novel
Our online creative writing course for all-comers to help you polish up your novel and prepare your pitch package for agents and publishers.
Sep 27 2018 - Nov 08 2018
Our online course for all-comers helps you to polish your novel and prepare a compelling pitch package ready to send out to agents and publishers. This course is suitable for anyone with a complete draft in hand and a desire to get the best out of it. It's also a good next step for people who have taken our Starting to Write Your Novel and Write to the End of Your Novel courses. Using teaching videos, resources, tasks and a student forum, and hosted on our secure bespoke learning platform, it also features video pitching tips from some of the literary agents of Curtis Brown and C+W. The deadline for enrolment is Monday 24 September.
Anna Davis, Director
Anna is the founder and Director of the Curtis Brown Creative writing school. She is the author of five novels, published around the world in 20 languages: Melting, The Dinner, Cheet, The Shoe Queen and The Jewel Box. She has worked for Curtis Brown for more than a decade as a book agent and has served on the management committee of the Association of Authors' Agents.
Our online writing course for those who have written a complete novel, and are looking for advice on how to edit and polish it – and then pitch it to agents and publishers. Using teaching videos, notes, writing tasks and resources, Curtis Brown Creative’s Director Anna Davis shares her Rewrite Doctor method of editing to help you review your complete draft, identify issues to be remedied, and fix them through the rewriting process. She then offers advice on preparing your pitch – including how to write a synopsis and agent's letter. This course also features video pitching tips from Curtis Brown and C+W literary agents.
Great novels are made in the rewrite: we'll show you how to raise your game through the process of editing and redrafting, then we'll demystify the perfect pitch. If you've written a novel but you know you need help with the next steps, then this is the course for you. It's recommended for people who have taken Starting to Write Your Novel and Write to the End of Your Novel with us, but you don't need to have taken these courses – all that's really essential is a complete novel in hand, the drive to get the best out of it and the growing awareness that The End is just the beginning…
The course is also suitable for people who've already taken a three- or six-month Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing course, or indeed for those who've taken creative writing courses with universities or other organisations, who'd like some nuts-and-bolts advice and an energy boost at the stage of readying their novel for submission.
We can't promise this course will get you an agent or a publishing deal, but Anna will deliver practical advice, drawn from many years' experience of agenting and teaching at Curtis Brown and from writing five published novels of her own, to help you get the best out of your novel and gain a better understanding of the publishing industry. For those who are are considering the bigger financial and time commitment needed for our longer, selective courses, it also offers a taste of what we do at Curtis Brown Creative.
Edit & Pitch Your Novel – along with Starting to Write Your Novel and Write to the End of Your Novel – are aimed at getting you all the way through your novel, from the germ of an idea to a polished draft and pitch. They're open to all-comers, and our online courses are designed for flexible study – you can take part at times to suit you and from wherever in the world you are.
What does this course give you?
This is the most practical of creative writing courses, offering a complete method for rewriting and editing your novel – The Rewrite Doctor – and solid advice on how best to pitch to the publishing industry.
- You’ll get six Teaching Modules across the six weeks (see schedule below for details), all delivered online through our secure, purpose-built, specially designed Curtis Brown Creative Learn platform.
- You’ll watch specially filmed Teaching Videos from Curtis Brown Creative Director Anna Davis (at least three videos per module).
- You'll watch Video Pitching Tips from Curtis Brown and C+W literary agents to help you learn how to present your book and to get a better understanding of what agents and publishers want.
- You’ll read extensive and practical Teaching Notes from Anna (the course is underpinned by more than 25,000 words of original, specially written teaching material).
- You’ll have access to additional Resources – uploaded PDFs which are collected in a dedicated area of the learning platform to support the teaching topics and provide useful reference material for the students. These include examples of synopses and agent letters.
- You’ll undertake weekly Tasks set by Anna, designed to help students progress their editing and rewriting process and create their pitch package. Tasks include the writing of a synopsis and agent's letter.
- You’ll have continued access to all of the teaching videos and notes after the course ends so you can refer back to them at any time to help you with your writing process.
- Students can share work, and communicate with each other and us in the Forum. Our learning platform features separate forum spaces for each teaching unit, arranged in a clear structure that’s easy to use. This enables students to quickly find and take part in discussions and to easily locate task materials they’d like to refer back to.
- We encourage students to offer positive, constructive feedback to each other in the forum as the course progresses. We’ll be taking a look at students’ written tasks and, each week, an expert CBC editor will give brief written feedback on several students' work - all students will get feedback on a writing task at some stage during the course. Weekly posts to the group from Anna Davis will reinforce the lessons taught and will offer comment on students' progress in such a way as to be useful to the group in general.
- At course end, we invite students to share – with us and fellow students – the opening 3,000 words of their novel plus an agent's letter and synopsis (written with the help of the course). This is not a submission to the agency but should help students to ready themselves to send their work to agents, whether at Curtis Brown and C+W or elsewhere. Students can obtain a detailed report (500 words) on this end-of-course material from our expert CBC editor for a fee of £100 (so you can take this course for a fee of £200 - or pay £300 to include a report on your writing when the course finishes). NB: If you're looking for in-depth individual tutor feedback, one-to-one tutorials and tutor-led writing workshops as part of a writing course, do take a look at our longer courses – these aren't included in Edit & Pitch Your Novel.
Thurs 27 September – Wed 3 October
The End is the Beginning: Reviewing Your Novel
Thurs 4 October - Wed 10 October
The Rewrite Doctor: Planning your edit
Thurs 11 October – Wed 17 October
Brush it till it shines: Revising and polishing
Thurs 18 October - Wed 24 October
Preparing your pitch: Writing your Synopsis
Thurs 25 October - Wed 31 October
Preparing your pitch: Writing your Agent Letter
Thurs 1 November - Thurs 8 November
Everything you need to know about pitching to agents and publishers: featuring video tips from Curtis Brown and C+W agents
Pay and enrol
To enrol on this course, you just need to click on the £200 'Pay & Enrol' button below, and then input the information requested and make payment using a debit/credit card. If you'd like to join the course AND get a 500 word report on your end-of-course material, choose the £300 option below instead.
If you'd like to ask any questions or discuss anything further with a member of the CBC team, call us on 020 7393 4201 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrolment closes at midnight on Monday 24 September.
If you would like to purchase a place on this course – or a Starting to Write Your Novel or Write to the End of Your Novel course – for someone other than yourself, please click here to buy a gift voucher. Read terms & conditions here.
Join the Course
Full participation in this online course.
Course + Report
Full course + 500 word report on your end-of-course submission.