The Breakthrough Novel-Writing Scholarships for Writers with Low Income
We are thrilled to announce that these Breakthrough Novel-Writing Scholarships will provide the full course fees for two talented writers. One writer will join our six-month online Writing Your Novel course (30 May to 28 Nov 2022), and a second writer will be selected to join our six-month London-based Writing Your Novel course (1 June to 7 Dec 2022).
These scholarships are part of the Breakthrough Writers’ Programme, our outreach programme which offers opportunities to under-represented writers. We aim to promote diversity in our student groups and to enable talented writers to join our courses who we might not otherwise have heard from.
If you have the desire to write, a great idea and a compelling voice – and you’re without the financial means to attend a Curtis Brown Creative course, this scholarship opportunity is for you.
These scholarships are open to writers over the age of 18, who fulfil our low-income eligibility criteria.
- Unmarried and not co-habiting with a partner, with an annual (gross, pre-tax) income of less than £25,000 and personal savings of less than £5,000.
- Married or co-habiting with a partner, with a total annual (gross pre-tax) household income of less than £35,000 and personal savings (jointly or individually) of less than £5,000.
If you don’t quite fit our financial criteria but are nonetheless financially challenged, then do apply, explaining your circumstances in the form.
You are ineligible for these scholarships if you are currently represented by a literary agent and/or have previously published a book with a traditional, non-academic publisher.
Our form asks you to make a statement about your financial income and the reason you deserve this fully funded opportunity.
APPLICATION & SELECTION
Curtis Brown Creative offers places on our courses on the basis of proven writing ability. We ask applicants to send us the first 3,000 words of a novel in progress, with a one-page synopsis, and to fill out our application form. Please note that those with the financial means to attend our courses should not apply to this scholarship.
The scholarships will be awarded to the applicants whose submission material shows the greatest potential and promise in our view. The decision will be made by the Curtis Brown Creative team.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants to the Breakthrough Novel-Writing Scholarships must fulfil our eligibility criteria. Our form asks you to make a statement about your financial income and the reason you deserve this fully funded opportunity.
- With respect to the earnings thresholds set out in our eligibility section: for salaried applicants, your current salary at date of application must be under the threshold. For self-employed applicants, your gross pre-tax profits (average figure for the last two financial years) must be under the threshold. State benefits such as jobseeker’s allowance should be counted as income.
- Applicants may be asked to provide proof of their financial circumstances in support of their scholarship applications.
- Applicants must not be currently represented by a literary agent and/or have previously published a book with a traditional, non-academic publisher.
- Because the scholarships are open only to those who do not have the means to attend the applicable course without financial assistance, applicants should bear in mind that their application will be considered only for the scholarship places and not for other fee-paying places on the courses.
Our application process is simple, and we encourage all writers meeting the eligibility criteria to apply.
Don’t worry if you have little or nothing to say in response to questions about e.g. writing experience or employment. Just fill out the form, upload your work and we’ll be in touch soon.
Please apply with the first 3,000 words of the novel you’d like to work on during the course, and a synopsis of no more than a page (both need to be in the same document, as you can only upload ONE file in the application below).
The deadline for applications is Sunday 15 May, and we will respond to applicants by Thursday 19 May. If you encounter any problems during the application process or have any more questions about the courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.